- 8 scallops in a half shell
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium slices of ginger cut into small batons
- 2 spring onions sliced into rounds
- Handful of coriander chopped finely
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of dark soy
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1/2 -1 juice of a lime
- 1/2 tablespoons of sesame oil
1. Cook two thirds of the garlic with the ginger and spring onions in the sesame oil for a few minutes to cook and release all the flavours. Mix the soy sauce with the lime juice, mirin and coriander and then add the cooked garlic mix to it and stir. Taste and adjust as needed.
2. Put water into pan and get to a good simmer. Lay the scallops on the steamer. Sprinkle with fresh garlic and coriander, put lid over and steam for between 3-5 minutes depending on the size. Take the lid off after 3 minutes to check. They are ready when you press them and they bounce back at you.
Warning: Careful when taking off the steamer that the juices don’t run off.
Add a good teaspoon of the sauce and sprinkle with bit of the green of the spring.