- 125 g brown crab meat from Henderson To Home.
- ½ onion finely diced.
- 5 cloves crushed garlic.
- 60 g whole dried red chillies (can sub for 60 g dried chilli flakes).
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste.
- 1 tablespoon miso paste.
- 450 g neutral flavoured oil.
- Salt to taste.
1. Toast whole dried chillies dry in a pan on medium heat, then transfer to a food processer and blitz till a little finer than regular chilli flakes.
2. In a medium sized saucepan, heat up 120 g of oil. Once hot, add the diced onions and a pinch of salt and cook till onions caramelised making sure to stir so it doesn’t burn or catch.
3. Add garlic and stir till caramelised. Add miso and tomato paste and cook out for another minute.
4. Add the toasted dried chilli and stir vigorously so it soaks up all the oil.
5. Add brown crab meat and break up and stir in well. Cook mixture out for 8/10 minutes till you have a chunky paste like consistency making sure to break up all the crab chunks.
6. Add 2 good pinches of salt and the remainder of the oil. Bring the mixture to a simmer, mixing and scraping the sides and bottom of the sauce pan to stop it from catching.
7. Reduce the heat down to low and cook out for 30 to 40 minutes making sure to continually scrape the sides and bottom of the saucepan to ensure it doesn’t catch.
8. Cook out till mixture stops foaming which is an indicator the moisture has been cooked out. Once no more foaming occurs remove from the heat and allow to cool completely in a the saucepan
9. Check the seasoning and adjust according to your taste. Transfer the mixture into an airtight jar making sure the oil covers the solids as this will prevent it from spoiling. Store in the fridge.
- • Always make sure the oil covers the solids completely when storing, you can just top up with plain neutral oil if you need to.