Ingredients (4 ppl - sharing plate):
1 spider crab from Henderson To Home.
1 white onion.
2 spring onion.
1/2 glass of white wine.
1/2 glass of Sherry Brandy.
1/2 tin of passatta.
1 tsp of spicy paprika.
1. Cook the spider crab on sea water (you can use 60 gr of salt per 1 litre of water, I used 5 litres so 300vgr of salt in), always use cold water and simmer the crab on the cold water if not the crab is gonna suffer more and the flesh of the meat will be chewy.
* For 1-1.5 kg crab boil for 18 minutes.
* For 1,5-2,5 kg crab boil for 22 minutes.
2. Once the time is finish, take the crab and simmer in water with ice to cold it down.
3. Chop the onion, the carrot and the spring onion in small brunoise.
4. Grate the fresh tomato and keep aside.
5. Once the crab is cold, start cleaning it and picking up the meat inside.
* I always start taking leg by leg, if you have a seafood tongs it will be easier. In case you don't, use the back part of the blade of a knife.
* Take all the meat off the legs and be careful with the tiny shells.
6. Open the head of the spider crab from the bottom with the help of a spoon, keep al the juices of the crab aside, we will use it later, clean the head of the crab taking all the meat.
* Keep the Shell, we will use it for plating as well so wash it properly.
7. Using a saucepan, cook the carrot along with the spring onion and the onion until they caramelize, add the grate tomato.
8. Once the tomato is dry, add the wine and leave it evaporate, once the wine is evaporated add the Sherry Brandy and with the help of a lighter burn it (be careful!).
9. Once the flames are down and the mix looses all the alcohol, add 1/2 tin of tomato and the spicy paprika.
10. Add the crab meat to the sofrito.
11. Pass the juices of the crab trough a small strainer and add to the sofrito.
12. Season the sofrito to taste with salt and pepper (I love the spicy touch so I will add some cayene pepper as well).
13. Take the head of the crab and stuffed it with the sofrito.
14. Cover the sofrito with breadcrumbs, making a thick layer and put a bit of butter on top of the breadcrumbs, must be thin slices of butter.
15. Cook on the oven at 200ºC for 10 minutes, if the breadcrumbs aren’t golden an crispy use the Grill until you get a golden colour and a crispy texture